When I output to excel how do I know when it was exported?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Frank 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
     Frank 
    Keymaster
    • Topics Started - 52
    • Replies Written - 46

When I output data to excel (using the button in the main menu in a view) the sheet comes out with my data but it does not contain the date export to excel was done.

Heard this one while talking to a long time customer and thought I’d see if I could describe some current options as well as an upcoming one.

First if your using time ranges make sure the time is being displayed in your column headers – these update automatically and should show the date range of each column. You can now also have date info in the calculated column headers as well (this was a change in a recent version 6.5? or something like that). Second if you’re not using date ranges but are using months, weeks or days you can display the time description so that you can see what dates the data is for. In the case of months this may not be perfect if your showing the current month since you wouldn’t see the actual date extracted. Remember for weeks you can now show the start or end date of the week (another recent change) instead of or along with the week number.

In any of these cases the actual date the excel file was created is in the footer of the excel sheet. You can see this by changing the view type in Excel to Page Layout. The created and printed date display at the bottom of the page. This has been available for a long time and is probably in whatever version you are using today.

Last I can let you know that we are planning a change that will add a tab to the excel output that will show the date the file was created, a link back to the view and any filter criteria that was applied when the data was exported. I’m thinking this will be available early 2017. Of course don’t quote me….

Post a reply if you have any questions or comments!

Frank 
    Keymaster
    • Topics Started - 52
    • Replies Written - 46

So….I was talking to one of our long time customers and she reminded me that I had not mentioned that the date the excel output is created is in the name of the excel file (e.g. Distributor Sales 2016-12-28.xlsx). You would of thought I’d mention that…..

Thanks Anne!

Merry Xmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

Frank 
    Keymaster
    • Topics Started - 52
    • Replies Written - 46

Excel output in Stratum will include (optionally) a tab with view information describing when the export happened, what filters were in place and a link back to the original view. This could show up around the end of March or sometime in April of 2017, but don’t quote me on this! This should give you all the detail you need to know when and how info was exported.

Frank 
    Keymaster
    • Topics Started - 52
    • Replies Written - 46

So the new 6.7 version of Stratum came out and provides an the answer to this question. As described in the earlier posts there is a new tab exported when you click the export to excel button. I ran an example so you could see what the output looks like. Below is my View exported to excel. The first tab will be the Grid, the second tab will be any Charts you had in your view (if there were any), and the last tab is the new View Details – which lets you know when the data was exported, what filters and sorts were applied to it and there is a link so you could go to a current version of the View. (note – the sizing is a little goofy on the images below – sorry about that.)

Excel Export – Grid from the View
    Excel export - Grid from the View

Excel Export – Charts from the View
    Excel Export - Charts from the View

Excel Export – NEW View Details Page
    Excel export - NEW View Details Page

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Frank.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Frank.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Frank.
     Frank 
    Keymaster
    • Topics Started - 52
    • Replies Written - 46

If you got an early version of 6.7 and didn’t like that the new View Details tab was highlighted…Contact us to get the latest release. There was a change made so the View Details tab is no longer highlighted, making the selections go wonky.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

or    

Forgot your details?