Tracking User Activity

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Frank 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author
     Keith Hughes 
    Participant
    • Topics Started - 2
    • Replies Written - 1

What options are available to track when users access Viewer, and which users are using the product actively? Thanks!

Frank 
    Keymaster
    • Topics Started - 52
    • Replies Written - 46

I’ve got a few different ideas – ranging from (IMHO) from good to bad…..
    1. Stratum InfoCenter is a Stratum add on that allows you to see a bunch of info about who is using which views, when and how often. This works off the web log so it tracks anytime a view is run. Information pertaining to master file data, users and some other stuff is also included in InfoCenter. You can find some more details here.

2. Coming at this from a View-centric POV you can see who last used a view and when – in View admin. There have been more columns added to help with seeing who last used and/or updated a view. You can reorder the View admin display by clicking on the column headers.

3. There are 3 tables in the Viewer db that you can join together (I did it in excel for example) that can help – The new RecentlyUsedView, Membership and ViewProfile.
    The driving table is the RecentlyUsedView table added in 6.7. This table contains all the views a user has used and the last time they used it. You would need to join this to the ViewProfile on the ViewId to get the view name, and join to the Membership table to get the user name. This will allow you to see what they have been using – but not how often – hmmm….seems like something that should get added….

4. You could poll your users and get their feedback……I know, a less then effective technique, but as I said at the beginning – ideas from good to bad….

So – best solution is InfoCenter, numbers 2&3 can help and will show you good info and number 4 is a terrible idea.

Keith Hughes 
    Participant
    • Topics Started - 2
    • Replies Written - 1

You might not be surprised to learn that I’ve already started on #4 in the form of a survey to my users to have them identify if they no longer use Stratum due to changing jobs, etc. Number 2 & 3 sound workable once we get 6.7 installed, which is in the plan for this year.

What costs are associated with InfoCenter? We’re going to need some assistance with a SQL Server move, so maybe I can roll this in at the same time.

Frank 
    Keymaster
    • Topics Started - 52
    • Replies Written - 46

I’ll check and pm you with the costs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

or    

Forgot your details?